Skin Types: Everything You Need to Know (& More)
From Dry to Oily and All the Types In Between
Many women struggle to navigate the gamut that is modern skincare. With so many options and products to choose from, it can be difficult to find just the combination that works for you. That’s because, in part, everyone’s skin is different. Different products work differently (for better or worse) on different complexions from dry to oily and combination skin.
That’s where MD Glam comes in. Our expert formulated products are designed to work with any skin type based on our deep understanding of how these types can vary from one to the other. Let’s take a closer look at different skin types and how MD Glam can help brighten and tighten your skin the way it deserves.
An Introduction to Skin Types
Wondering what kind of skin you’re in?
You might be surprised depending on how you have been treating it. Many people misdiagnose their skin type thinking they need more of something when they need less, and so on. This comes from not understanding your natural skin and what is best for your type.
In short, these are the general skin types you might fall into and the signs to look for.
- Dry skin: Rough, flaking, irritated, tight
- Oily skin: Shiny, greasy, bright, porous t-zone
- Sensitive skin: Itching, uncomfortable, warm
- Combination: A mix of dry and oily features
What’s diet got to do with it?
Plenty. Skin is a part of our body that is often overlooked when it comes to healthcare and diet. But what we eat can show up in more ways than one on our faces.
The Oily Skin Diet
- Avoid heavily processed foods with lots of preservatives
- Cut excess salt out of your meals wherever possible
- Reduce your carb intake for a clearer skin appearance
- Moderate how much dairy you eat to reduce shine
- Stock up on foods rich in vitamin A like sweet potatoes and squash
- Aim to eat anti-oxidant flush foods like blueberries and blackberries
- Consume water and green tea to stay hydrated properly
The Dry Skin Diet
- Explore foods known for Omega-3 including salmon and other fish
- Drink more than 64 ounces of water daily to stay hydrated
- Bulk up on nuts with healthy oils and fats like almonds and cashews
- Integrate avocados throughout your day for fullness with the right vitamins
- Cook with healthy oils such as coconut and extra virgin olive oil
The Combination Skin Diet
- Balance your intake of carbs, proteins, and fats for an even diet
- Limit carbs and focus on vegetables and fruits in this category where possible
- Keep sugar intake to a limit with natural sugars from fruits
- Aim for high protein carbs where needed such as brown rice or millet
- Continue drinking water throughout the day to maintain balanced skin
Common Skin Type Myths to Avoid
You know your skin type and are on your way with the right diet to support skin health from the inside out. What other factors should you consider, and what should you dismiss as myths?
False: Oily skin doesn’t need a moisturizer.
You might feel greasy, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be moisturizing. The right moisturizer will deliver vital nutrients and vitamins to your skin beyond just making it feel moist. And moisturizers don’t have to feel or be heavy, either. MD Glam’s DMAE Antioxidant Day Moisturizer is designed to be lightweight even under makeup while bringing vitamins C and E to your skin.
False: Dry skin shouldn’t be washed frequently.
Define frequently. There’s no need to be washing your facial skin more than twice a day – morning and night – to keep it fresh and healthy. Some people believe they should stick to once a day (or not at all!) if their skin is dry. That’s a false premise. Instead, you might need to find the right cleanser that leaves your skin balanced and refreshed, rather than just dried out even more after washing. Consider MD Glam’s Deep Pore Foaming Cleanser, which is formulated for the skin of all types to hydrate just as much, or as little, as your skin naturally needs without overdrying. Follow up with our Exfoliating Enzyme Scrub for a smooth finish.
False: You don’t need SPF if you aren’t at the beach.
Everyone should protect their skin daily from harmful UV-A and UV-B rays which can reach beyond the beach through windows, under hats, and catch you on your walk to the office. The accumulation of this exposure over time can lead to advanced signs of aging, not to mention put you at risk for skin cancer. MD Glam’s Sunshout Sunscreen SPF 50 preserves and perfects against the effects of the sun with a broad spectrum of UVA/UVB protection.
False: Day and night deserve the same skincare solution.
Your skin deserves attention at the start and end of every day, but the treatment it needs varies based on what it will face next. In the morning, you want to be sure to protect against the sun, moisturize appropriately, and treat signs of aging. But at night, your skin is ready for a refresh. Start with MD Glam’s Hyaluronic Acid Night-C-Complex specifically designed for nighttime. All the vitamins your skin craves after a long day are packed into the formula to combat signs of aging while you sleep. And don’t forget the sensitive skin around your eyes. Our Retinol-C Intense Eye Serum will melt into your skin overnight leaving you smooth and fresh when you wake up.
No matter your skin type, MD Glam has the formulation that will work for you. All of our products are designed to integrate into a healthy lifestyle and work with any skin type: dry, combination, or oily. That’s because our formulations are made with science at the forefront and led by Dr. Cat, a scientist and plastic surgeon.
Are you ready for a skincare routine that goes to work for you? Try MD Glam’s doctor-formulated, nutrient-rich cleansers and moisturizers today!