Do Facial Exercises Work for Anti-Aging
Are you starting to see signs of aging creep in forehead wrinkles, crow's feet, and other fine lines? While aging is unavoidable, there are natural and affordable options for maintaining a youthful appearance for as long as possible. The goal is to age gracefully, and a few at-home treatments and practices can help.
You spend time in the gym to tone and strengthen your body. In the same way, face exercises can be beneficial to tone the facial muscles and slow the aging process. The ideal approach is to pair face yoga with other anti-aging practices and treatments to achieve the best results possible.
Face Yoga: What Is It?
All muscles in the body work the same, regardless of the location. When the muscle gets weak and isn't worked, then it starts to sag. Face yoga involves different facial movements to strategically strengthen the facial muscles, helping to prevent sagging and minimize the appearance of fine lines or wrinkles.
These face exercises for wrinkles use repetitive motions and stretching to tone and strengthen the muscles. Additionally, the movements can activate skin cell regeneration and complement the other anti-aging habits you are following.
If you want to integrate face yoga into your daily habits, then it's essential to be intentional about the right types of muscle stimulation. The wrong movements can do more harm than good – increasing the risk of wrinkles because you are causing the wrong kind of tension.
Do Facial Exercises Work?
Yes, facial exercises can contribute to your anti-aging efforts. But keep in mind that these exercises aren't enough on their own. If you want optimal results, it's wise to pair facial exercises with other anti-aging treatments, such as quality skin care products and Med Spa services (injections, micro-needling, chemical peels, and more).
There are undeniable benefits you can receive when using facial exercises. Furthermore, this anti-aging habit is free and available to anyone—no need to pay for a facelift or a gym membership.
One of the main benefits of face yoga is that you can do these exercises anywhere. There are always options to promote healthy skin and facial contouring using natural techniques to support your skin rejuvenation. Every time you have a face yoga session at home, you work the facial muscles and promote healthy blood flow and circulation.
Plus, it feels great to have a mini massage on your face. Anti-aging face exercises make it easier to destress and release the tension you are holding.
The Best Face Exercises for Anti-Aging
Which face exercises should you be doing to get the best results? It can be confusing to search for anti-aging face exercises online because there are so many varying opinions out there. Here are a few simple and effective face lift exercises that only require a few minutes each day:
The forehead wrinkles are often some of the most noticeable wrinkles that patients want to target. Here is an exercise to help:
- Place your hands gently on the forehead, with the fingertips positioned facing inwards at the center of the forehead.
- Press gently with the fingers, and move your hands outward toward the temples.
- Release the hands and move them back to the same position in the center.
- Repeat 10 times.
Tighten up the entire cheek area and add a little lift with this exercise.
- Start by keeping your lips closed and filling the cheeks with air.
- Stimulate the muscles on either side of the face by pushing the air from one side to the other. You will feel the tautness and tension where you are focusing the air pressure.
- Next, form your mouth into an "O" shape and let the air out.
- Repeat three more times.
Upper Neck Tightening
Avoid the dreaded "turkey neck" by using this exercise to target the skin in the upper neck area:
- Lift your chin to look up towards the ceiling.
- Bring your lips into a puckered position, holding tight. You will feel this movement lifting the skin on the neck.
- Hold the position for at least 5 seconds.
- Part the lips and stick out your tongue to touch the tip of the tongue to the top lip.
- Drop the chin. Then repeat 5 times.
This movement is an anti-aging face yoga technique that yoga teachers sometimes use in their flows.
- Breathe in deeply to fill your lungs and diaphragm with air.
- Open your mouth as wide as possible, then stick out the tongue – stretching the tongue as far down the chin as you can go.
- Let go of the breath with a loud sound, "ha," feeling the air moving across the back of the tongue.
- Relax your face and breath normally for 2 or 3 breaths.
- Repeat 5 – 7 times.
Smooth out the fine lines with an exercise that is similar to the "fish face" game kids like to play:
- Keeping the lips together, smiling, and maintaining a closed mouth.
- Press the lips tighter, then suck in the cheeks between the teeth, so it creates a fish face appearance.
- Hold the position for a few seconds, then repeat 5 – 10 times.
If you are noticing the appearance of crow's feet, then this exercise might help:
- Make "peace signs" with the middle and index fingers on both hands.
- Turn the hands so the finger pads and over the face.
- Place the pads of the middle fingers near the inside corner of each eyebrow, with the index fingers positioned on the outside of the eyebrows.
- Push gently and look towards the ceiling.
- Squint by bringing up the lower eyelids.
- Relax your face and release your hands.
- Repeat several times.
Exercise for Face Wrinkles: How Fast Does It Work?
Results vary from patient to patient, depending on your consistency with facial toning exercises and the overall quality of your skin. Some patients start noticing a difference within a few weeks, but many people need to use these anti-aging face exercises for several months before seeing results.
If you don't have the patience to wait for months before seeing anti-aging results, then make sure you pair face yoga with other skincare treatments and at-home habits. In the same way that you need to exercise, hydrate, and eat a healthy diet to maintain a fit figure, it's also important to make sure you are rejuvenating your skin. Use face exercises for anti-aging as well as products to nourish the skin.
So, when you start using face exercises for anti-aging, also consider strategies for protecting and improving your skin as it ages. Here are a few best practices to improve your skin now and in the future:
Invest in Quality Skincare Products
Daily habits make all the difference in your overall anti-aging results. For example, anti-aging face yoga each day supports skin health from the inside out. Additionally, everyone should use quality skincare products that nourish and support the skin from the outside in.
Throw out the old, cheap skincare products that are expired. Instead, replace these outdated products with formulated anti-aging solutions, such as MD Glam. Apply these skincare products daily and at night, then watch your skin improve in the coming weeks and months.
Recommended skincare products include:
- Cleanser: Ingredients to wash away impurities and keep the pores open and healthy. Cleanse your face in the morning when you get up and again before bed to remove any micro-particles that collect on the skin's surface throughout the day.
- Scrub: Gently exfoliate the top layer of the skin to remove dead skin cells. Regular exfoliation is essential to promote the regrowth of healthier skin cells.
- Moisturizer: Keep the skin soft and supple using a moisturizer that promotes hydration and beauty.
- Eye Care: Certain products are designed to take care of the delicate skin under and around the eyes. This facial skin tends to be the thinnest, which is why you need to use eye serum to firm, plump, and strengthen the skin.
- Day and Night Care: A good skincare line will have different serums and creams for day and night use, helping promote healthy skin 24/7.
- SPF: Never leave the house without applying sun protection! Since sun exposure is one of the main issues that speeds up the aging process, using SPF each day is an effective way to slow down the aging process.
As you apply these skin care products, take a few minutes to massage the face. This gentle facial massage promotes healthy blood flow and relaxes the facial muscles. It's like a mini facelift exercise session every time you wash and moisturize your face.
In addition to different facial movements as part of your anti-aging face yoga routine, also consider using facial massage. A jade roller is a great way to massage the face, promote lymph drainage, decrease puffiness, and encourage the body to eliminate toxins.
Many patients find that their face looks more toned and calm when they are using a jade roller. This type of facial massage is cooling and relaxing and also helps to reduce redness and irritation.
Expert tip: try storing your jade roller in the refrigerator for a few hours before your bedtime routine. It feels cooling and refreshing when you use the cold jade to massage your face.
There is a reason why sleep is often called "beauty rest." When you get a good night's sleep, it gives the natural repair processes in the body time to get to work – which is when the anti-aging functions can happen.
If you aren't sleeping enough or getting poor quality sleep, then facial exercises won't be enough to give you the youthful, fresh appearance you desire. Consider these sleep hacks to improve your sleep and protect your skin at the same time:
- Sleeping Position: If you are sleeping on your side, it means that your facial skin is stretched and in unnatural positions for hours at a time. As a result, it can cause uneven volume and skin tone. Instead, try sleeping on your back so your face can be relaxed.
- Sheets and Pillowcase: Wash the sheets once a week. Use high-quality pillowcases on delicate facial skin, such as silk or other gentle fabrics.
- Set the Alarm: Not only should you set the alarm to wake up in the morning, but make sure you are consistent about setting the alarm to remind you to go to bed at the same time each night. Maintaining a consistent sleep schedule is essential to help you feel rested after 7 – 8 hours of sleep each night.
Direct sun exposure is one of the fastest ways to speed up the aging process. When the UV rays from the sun come in contact with your skin, it causes damage that leads to hyperpigmentation, fine lines, and more.
Not only should you be using sunscreen every day, but always re-apply every 60 – 90 minutes when you are spending time in direct sunlight. Whenever possible, avoid the sun during the most intense times of the day: between 10 am and 4 pm. If you need to be outside during this time, stay in the shade as much as possible. A sunshade tent or umbrella can be a great way to bring your portable shade.
Also, consider other ways to keep your skin protected from the sun. For example, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses can help keep your face shaded during the day.
Face Exercises and Skincare Products: The Best Combination
Even though aging is inevitable, there are things that you can do to slow down this process. Daily face exercises and quality skincare products are a dynamic combination for helping you maintain a youthful appearance.
MD Glam is formulated by Dr. Cat: a board-certified surgeon who specializes in anti-aging treatments. She brings decades of experience to the industry, formulating the optimal skincare line to produce the results that patients want to see. If you want to reach your highest skin potential, make sure these innovative, medical-grade skincare products are part of your routine.